In the words of one of my favorite singer-songwriters, Jason Isbell, in the song High Road, “Last year was a son of a b**** for nearly everyone we know.”
I don’t know if your 2017 was a good one or a bad one, but we’re in a brand new year now and I have high hopes for 2018 for all of us. It’s going to be awesome! I’m insisting. 🙂
You may have made some resolutions for the new year, but I have a few to add if you’d like to play along. These are for myself and for all of you, if you’re game.
Things to do more of in 2018
- Give more hugs and kisses
- Say yes more
- Act more foolish
- Tell more corny jokes
- Care less what other people think
- Laugh more
- Laugh even more
- Spread kindness
- Take chances
- Read a lot of books
- Make a little magic
Feel free to add to the list!
Have a wonderful 2018. One of my other to-do items for this year is to yap to you all more often here, so I will see you soon!
I was working on a post today in honor of those lost last Friday. It was taking me a long time and our house is chaotic at the moment (five kids, who’d guess there would be chaos?). I realized how backwards that was, so I am putting off that post and I am going to go spend time with my children.
Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to pick any three to do today:
- Do something magical with your children (there are over a hundred previous lists tagged “ways to make the day magical” if you need inspiration).
- Donate to a children’s charity in honor of those who were lost.
- Do something really nice for yourself.
- Do a random act of kindness with your kids.
- Make a wonderful, happy mess with your kids and then put on wacky clothes and happy music to clean it up together.
- Count your blessings.
- Snuggle your kids and let them know how much you love them.
My thoughts are with all those who are grieving today.
I am not much of a resolution kind of person, but I do love a good list of goals. Here’s my things to keep on working on for the new year…
- Laugh more.
- Smile more.
- Make lots of green smoothies.
- Read aloud every day.
- Hug my sweeties (big and little).
- Say yes to scary (good) opportunities.
- Spend more time in the sun with the kids, even when it’s 5 degrees out.
- Explore new places.
- Pretend to be good at housework.
I’m not sure what number 10 will be. There’s a whole lot of year to fill it in with the perfect goal!
What’s on your list? Make it fun!
Happy New Year!
Do 10 silly things with your kids.
Extra credit if you post some of them here. 🙂
Yes, assignments! Bet you didn’t know there would be homework when you wandered in! 🙂
Please do at least one of the following:
- Get down on the floor to play.
- Build something, paint something or otherwise create something.
- Give your child at least 10 hugs and/or kisses.
- Do something nice for somebody else’s child.
- Do something nice for you.
- Laugh like a fool.
- Frame some of your child’s art and display it where it will make you smile.
- Just sit and talk with your child.
- Make silly faces at your kids and then play innocent when they look.
- Leave a comment with an assignment of your own.
Extra credit if you do more than one! Do not do all ten. No perfectionism allowed. 🙂
…is to grab your camera and take pictures of your kiddos until you get at least one that makes you smile every time you look at it.
I’ve noticed that there are some things I just don’t want to do, but once I do them anyway I feel fabulous.
1. Get out into the sunshine or around people when I just want to stay home.
3. Go to sleep early. (I am really bad at this one!)
Originally, there was a fourth but I’ve completely forgotten it! Perhaps it’s because I’ve already stayed up too late. 😉
In any case, I’m resolving to do more of all three for the next week. They’re good for my soul (and body too!).
What about you? What do you put off that ends up making you feel good? Want to join me?