Sorry for disappearing for so long again. It’s a busy time of year for us here, with lots of hiking to enjoy the season and lots of “putting things up” from our gardens, from friends’ apple trees and from produce bought in bulk from local farm families.
October is such a magical month. It isn’t hard to find lots and lots of ways to make the days magical. Here’s a few options for the week.
1. Get the kids’ shoes or bare feet muddy and help them “walk” across the ceiling to leave muddy footprints.
2. Dress up the dog in a different crazy costume each night this week and go walking with the kids.
3. Do some fall nature crafts. You can find a round-up of ten of my favorites here.
4. Use a pumpkin for a Mr. Potato Head or use playdough to make fun faces. Here’s a few dozen other fun things to do with pumpkins besides just carving them.
5. Dress the kids up in their Halloween costumes and visit a nursing home to deliver treats to the residents (call first and find one who’d welcome the treats and visitors).
6. Here’s a delightful suggestion from Sakina on the Magical Childhood Facebook page: here is my magical childhood moment earlier today… perhaps it’s already on your list somewhere??… let your child become the make up artist on yourself.
I love it! :) Thanks Sakina!
9. Dress the kids up in old fashioned clothes and go visit a historic site like a train museum or a pioneer village. Pretend you live in those old times and talk about what it would be like.
10. Try this lovely idea from Parents:
You can brighten your yard with this temporary art project that highlights (but doesn’t harm) a favorite tree. First soak sidewalk chalk in water for a couple of hours to soften it, then go outside and choose a tree that’s looking a little drab — the smoother the bark, the better. Rub the chalk on the trunk to give it a coat of color. Smooth out the chalk and blend the hues with a large paintbrush and water.
Originally published in the March 2013 issue of FamilyFun
And with that, my dears, I’m off to play ball with a small boy, bake some gluten free bread and wrestle some piles of laundry into order.
Have a magical week!