Happy Monday! Here’s a few ways to make some memories with your kiddos this week…
1. Make a squirt gun carnival game in the back yard. Martha Stewart recommends setting up ping pong balls on golf tees as targets.
2. Have the kids write up a little message about your family and fold it up and tuck it behind the light switch or under the carpeting for someone to find years from now.
3. Totally doll up the dining room table for supper tonight. Gather leaves to scatter on the tablecloth, make an arrangement of cut twigs, flowers or grasses. Use pine cones, candles, acorns or treasures from around the house to make it a work of art.
4. Make up some batches of play dough with natural dyes. It’s great fun to experiment to make your own colors. Here’s our recipe.
5. Try circus tricks together. See if you can juggle, balance a ball on your nose or walk a “tightrope” on the floor.
6. Make your child a thank you card for being so wonderful.
7. Make an Angry Bird game with homemade pom poms, dixie cups and google eyes! Make and Takes has the simple instructions.
8. Make poetry stones. Gather up a bunch of small rocks and use a marker to write words on them. Make sure to use adjectives, nouns and verbs. For example…. I, you, we, love, wet, dogs, jumped, lick, stars…. the more words you make the more variety you can get in your poem. Drop the rocks in a bucket, shake, and grab a handful to arrange into each line. Make sure to add some funny words!
9. Print out some sophisticated patterned coloring pages and color with your child (these ones from Patterns for Colouring are even fun for the big ones!).
10. Tell the kids that today is hundred kisses day. Pick a sound, and every time you hear that sound all day you have to drop what you’re doing and find your kids and give them 20 kisses loudly on their heads, bellies, knees or whatever you can grab. At the end of the day if you haven’t heard the sound enough times to equal 100 you have to finish all the hundred kisses. You can pick a word too– for instance any time anybody on TV says car then you give kisses.
And with that, chickadees, I’m off to give some noisy kisses of my own! Have a magical week!