We’re on our way to a nearby town to meet some wonderful friends for a playdate in the park. In light of that, I’m swiping this list of ways to make the day magical from an old newsletter! Oh, like you remember what I said in June of 2002! 😉
10 Ways to Make Today Magical….
1. Have a bubble relay outside– contestants have to carry their bubbles from person to person and start over if they pop.
2. Have the kids play dress up in their most fanciful clothes and then go on an evening walk around the neighborhood.
3. Lie in the grass with your kiddos and just look at the sky.
4. Give the kids an old sheet and let them design their own clothes from it. They can sew, staple or safety pin it together. Encourage them to go for wacky, glamorous and out of the ordinary!
5. Go on a crusade to create the wackiest, tackiest hats. Give each kid an old hat (or make one out of newspaper) and have him embellish it with fabric, markers, fake fruit, ribbons, holiday decorations, you name it. Take pictures of each contestant in her creation.
6. Make homemade popsicles, shakes or ice cream treats. Invite the kids to help design them and get creative! Drop in berries, alternate colors, you name it!
7. Encourage the kids to start a project interviewing elders in the family or neighborhood. They can use a tape recorder or camcorder, or just take notes. Kids can pick a theme (such as summer fun or memories of a certain person in her youth) or they can just be Barbara Walters and design a bunch of fun questions! There is such valuable, fascinating history that is slipping through our fingers, and our grandparents and great grandparents usually love to share it. The project could make a priceless gift for a favorite relative.
8. Make up a miniature golf course in the backyard or living room.
9. Pack a picnic and explore a town or park you’ve never visited.
10. Get a couple of old paintings, prints or even computer print-outs of masterpieces and give the kids some paints and paintbrushes or other art materials. Let them improve on the originals in whatever way they want and frame the results. Voila! Priceless art made even more priceless by your own favorite artist.
And with that, I’m off to dress the last of the little people in my house, toss us all in the car and go play in some sand. :) Have a magical day!