Here’s a fun little activity my girls and I made up yesterday. Newspaper acting!
I grabbed a copy of our local newspaper and a few junk mail flyers and challenged them to read lines in all different types of voices. For instance, Victoria read a sentence about a basketball game as if it were an ad for a horror movie. Anna read a sentence about a city council meeting as if it were heartbreaking news. I read a sentence about a budget proposal with terrible rage.
Want to play along? Just grab some really boring or random reading materials like newspapers, ads and magazines. Even homework pages would work!
Here’s some suggested voices and styles:
- As if it’s the funniest thing you’ve ever read
- Like an action movie preview
- In the voice of an evil genius
- With great rage
- As if you’re heartbroken
- With a strong, funny accent
- As if it’s a children’s book for very young kids
- As if you’re super excited
- With terrible sorrow
- As if it’s a line in a romance movie
- Like you’re terribly scared
We had so much fun doing this! We were all laughing like crazy and the girls have asked repeatedly to do some more.