There are a million reasons why we read to our children. The best books contain wonderful art, engaging stories, rich vocabulary and something that just makes kids (and their grown ups) feel good. They also are the kind of book you don’t mind reading again and again to your kiddos.
Here’s 20 books that we return to over and over because they do that for us. :)
(Note: I haven’t separated these into age levels because I really think great books transcend age and families often read together. The majority are picture books. I’ll post a list of recommended chapter books for older kids soon.)
- A Fairy Went A-Marketing (a must own, as far as I’m concerned!)
- Miss Rumphius
- Kiss the Cow
- There’s a Nightmare in My Closet
- Mama, Do You Love Me?
- Please Baby Please
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
- Hop on Pop (my favorite for helping reading “click” for kids)
- More! More! More! Said the Baby
- Anything (Pooh or poetry) by A.A. Milne
- The Napping House
- There’s a Frog in the Bog
- Anything by Sandra Boynton (but especially “But Not the Hippopotamus”)
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
- Silly Sally
- Big Momma Makes the World
- Do’s and Don’ts (and others by Todd Parr)
This is just a drop in the bucket in terms of our favorites, and mostly off the top of my head. I’m sure I’ll think of 20 more that should have been on the list as soon as I hit post!
Want to share your favorite read-alouds? Please add them in the comments!