I currently live in my dream house because:
a) We own it outright, and
b) It has walls, heat, running water and room outside to garden and play.
I’m not awfully picky. Just (a) would have had me happy.
If I were going to design my dream house, here’s some things it would have in it…
- A fireman’s pole from every floor
- Swings in the children’s rooms
- Room for a piano
- Windows everywhere
- Woods in the back yard
- Lots of places to climb (inside and out)
- A dining room table big enough for twelve (minimum)
- An art room with built in easels, a drain in the floor and a hose for quick cleaning
- A hot tub
- A play room with a built-in trampoline
- And a slide like this to get downstairs:
But not just for the kids to use!
(See more of this house at Dezeen.)
Honestly, I do love my house. I love that it came to us so old and bedraggled, because it gave us free reign to do whatever we liked.
The old door to Victoria’s room was so banged up, blackboard paint and magenta trim was perfect for it.
The weathered, painted stairs called out for words stenciled on them like Hope and Dream and Imagine.
(Speaking of imagining, I can’t find the lovely picture of the girls on the stairs that I was going to put here so you’ll have to imagine it!)
And what’s the harm in letting the children paint the inside of the cupboard doors when they’re so old and tacky to begin with?
But just the same, it is fun to dream sometimes.
What would be in your dream house, especially for playing?