I’m still garden obsessed with the arrival of spring so I swiped this list of ways to make the day magical from newsletter #37 from back in 2002. I suddenly feel very old. ;)
10 Ways to Make Today Magical, Garden Style…..
1. Have the kids usepermanent paint or markers to write plant names on rocks, popsicle sticks or strips of recycled materials to use as plant markers. For added fun, have them make up a few silly ones that say things like "Albert the bug," "popsicle stick," "Jo was here," "Smile!" etc.
2. Encourage the kids to have plant swaps with their friends. Help them carefully dig up a plant from somewhere in your yard or house and swap it from one from theirs. Even weeds can be sentimental to little ones. Give it a place of honor in its new home.
3. Pick some leaves or flower petals and press them between two sheets of clear contact paper. Cut out, punch a hole, and hang as a sun catcher.
4. Make flower petal soups, mud pies, grass sundaes and other culinary backyard treats. Save old spice containers to fill with dirt for seasoning.
5. Next time you have some rain, take the kids and splash and dance in the puddles.
6. Do flower magic. When you have flower arrangements that have died, let the kids take them outside and toss the petals into the air. They can make wishes or say prayers as they let the wind carry the petals away. This is especially fun on windy days.
7. Go on a hike to find interesting shapes and textures of plants and then stamp them onto paper with some paint. Halved mushrooms, leaves, grass that’s gone to seed, dandelion heads and lots more make fun designs.
8. Teach your kids how to whistle with a blade of grass. Have a whole orchestra!
9. Pay 1 cent each for dandelions and 5 cents for a root. I always thought I dreamed this idea up but I’ve since found a lot of moms are onto this trick! Afterwards, weave them into flower garlands and turn each other yellow.
10. Have a picnic supper outside on the lawn. Have a magical week!
10. Have a picnic supper outside on the lawn.
Have a magical week!